What is Super Visa Insurance ?
Super Visa Insurance is a new concept that came into light along with super visa. Super Visa insurance is no different from Visitor to Canada medical insurance.
Super visa insurance will feature: premium amount, coverage amount, primary and secondary benefits, refund policy, etc.
Not everyone is eligible for super visa. Only the parents and grandparents of citizens and permanent residents of Canada are eligible for super visa. Apart from this, officers also consider the applicant’s ties with his/her home country, the purpose of visit and his and his family’s financial condition.
GET A QUOTE
What is Super Visa Program ?
Super Visa Program has come into force from November 4, 2011 in Canada with a sole aim to provide visa to Parents and Grand Parents of Permanent Residents or Canadian Citizens under family reunification program.
Secondly, this new super visa scheme will offer a temporary visa valid for a period of ten years to parents and grandparents.
Thirdly, a holder of Super Visa can stay in Canada for a maximum period of two years without renewing their visa.
Above all, the success rate of this program is very high in comparison to regular visitor to Canada visa program.
Requirements to Qualify for Super Visa Program
- Parent or grandparent of Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
- The sponsor must give a written statement that he or she will give you financial support.
- The person must be allowed to enter Canada.
- Letter of invitation from your child or grandchild.
- In the application one must Provide proof that your child or grandchild meets the minimum income threshold.
- Have medical insurance coverage for one year with a minimum of $100,000 coverage.
Parent or grandparent of Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
The person must be allowed to enter Canada.
In the application one must Provide proof that your child or grandchild meets the minimum income threshold.
The sponsor must give a written statement that he or she will give you financial support.
Letter of invitation from your child or grandchild.
Have medical insurance coverage for one year with a minimum of $100,000 coverage.
The Super Visa policy has following Key Benefits
- Details about Maximum liability available to a maximum amount; that can be purchased.
- Emergency medical treatment for sickness or injury whether in-patient or out-patient.
- Services of physician, surgeon, anaesthetist, registered graduate nurse.
- Private duty nursing.
- X-rays and laboratory services.
- Rental of essential medical appliances.
- Non-emergency treatment: if treatment is a direct result of the initial emergency, Ambulance Including Mountain and sea rescue.
- Prescription drugs amount and number of days’ supply.
- Professional medical services of a practitioner; including a licensed physiotherapist, chiropractor, chiropodist, osteopath and podiatrist.
- Emergency air transportation for air evacuation or airfare back to Canada or country of residence for treatment and medical attendant, Return of insured, travelling companion.
- One-way economy airfare back to point of departure if insured is transported or repatriated back to Canada.
- Family transportation: One return economy airfare or ground transportation costs and coverage for day for meals and accommodation.
- Out of pocket expenses, while hospitalized on scheduled return date.
- Child care
- Accidental Dental and Dental pain coverage
- Maternity coverage, childbirth or complications during the 9 weeks prior to the expected delivery date
- Repatriation and Burial/cremation at place of death (excluding cost of a burial coffin or urn)
- Return of vehicle
- Accidental death and dismemberment
How can I buy Super Visa Insurance and Save Money ?
First of all, we have made every sincere effort to get you the best rates for Super Visa Insurance by using our Super Visa Insurance calculator. The Calculator asks for very basic information, and gives you quotes from up to 7 carriers in seconds.
Remember, the Super Visa Insurance will start when a person lands in Canada so if you have bought the policy at the time of applying for visa with Canadian High Commission then do not forget to change the effective date of the policy if your scheduled arrival is before or after the effective date mentioned in the policy at the time of purchase. Because you always mention probable travel date as effective date while buying the policy and it your responsibility to get the date amended.
For instance, you can browse through important policy wording before making a purchase and above all our online Super Visa calculator helps you to compare premiums, deductible options, benefit amounts, eligibility, claim process etc. in the policy wording.
What is the cost of Super Visa Insurance ?
Every insurance company is unique in terms of offerings and also cost of super visa insurance is not same with all companies like some companies have basic plan with no coverage of pre-existing conditions or comprehensive plans. One must pay close attention to exclusions and eligibility section at the time of purchase. It is highly recommended that before you buy any policy online on this site or other sites you are fully confident about your purchase and you have clearly understood the policy wording booklet.
The cost of Super Visa insurance is determined by following:
Step 1 Getting a quote
All Super Visa insurance policies must meet minimum requirements set by the Canadian Government and generally speaking following benefits are part of the plan booklet like; health care, hospitalization, and repatriation, type and levels of coverage etc. Every insurance company offers benefit details in the policy wording booklet like: Coverage amount for Drugs, Professional services, follow up visits etc. The cost of plan do varies based on offered benefits and claim experience of insurance company and operating profitability with other factors including but not limited to policy reserves, sales etc.
Step 2 Comparing benefits
Once you have put your age, amount, traveling dates and coverage for pre-existing condition selection; the calculator gives you rates for up to 7 companies with all benefit and policy details mentioned on the side. Review the deductible options, benefit amount and other details before making a selection.
Step 3 Verifying the details and make a purchase
When you are fully satisfied, you click the buy button and you are directed to secure site of insurance company to make a purchase. On the insurance company portal you are asked about all the details like: Name, DOB, traveling dates, health questions as per eligibility criteria, selection of product, address in Canada, sponsor and beneficiary details, contact information and lastly you make a secured online purchase using credit card.
- It is highly recommended to read carefully and understand the quantum of benefits being offered and limitations. For example, doctor’s visit in case of emergency; medication amount covered per condition; follow-up visits and refills etc.
When buying for Super Visa insurance, be careful about selecting right plan? Price matters, but not at the cost of good benefits.
The most important step while applying under the super visa program is to buy right amount of coverage as stipulated by Canadian Immigration. Everyone wants to buy cheapest available coverage with maximum benefits.
There are so many companies in the public domain who offer Super Visa insurance but proper care must be taken in understanding the coverage benefits, exclusions, eligibility questions, pre-existing coverage, additional benefits, clam process and refund etc. to name few.
One must read the benefit booklet to completely understand the coverage details. Many people just shop for rates only and pay little or no attention to coverage or product details. Please be advised that Super Visa insurance product is not universal, every insurance company has its own offering or coverage details and if not selected properly can cost very dear to you.
What is a Super Visa Insurance monthly plan?
We offer Super Visa Insurance monthly plan from two companies: 21st Century Travel Insurance as well as Travel Shield. Our licensed advisers will help you to compare the plans and offer the best policy as per your needs.
Generally, The Super Visa Insurance policy premiums are paid upfront for one full year 365 days but some insurance companies do offer Super Visa Insurance monthly plans as well.
Under monthly plan, the applicant pays first two month’s premium upfront with administration cost which is generally upto $50 and the policy gets issued and applicant can apply for Super Visa.
The Super Visa insurance policy will start from the day applicant lands in Canada and then premiums will be paid on monthly basis. Basically, insurance company has received two month’s premium in advance and rest of the payments are spread over 10 month period. The minimum retained premium is two months which is not refundable.
The premiums are guaranteed and it is more cost effective because paying all the premiums in one shot can be very stressful for the applicant.
In other words, the monthly payment plan helps the applicant to manage the cost. However, in case your parents or grandparents decided to return early, it is very easy to cancel the policy and get a refund.
Special Note: Some conditions apply and plan varies from company to company. All applicants must read policy terms and conditions before making a purchase.
How And When I Can Get Super Visa Insurance Refund?
The Refund on Super Visa can arise due to following situations and we have detailed them for you as below:
- When the visa officer refuses the Super Visa application– In case of visa refused by the Canadian High Commission, 100% refund is available before the start of insurance date.
- If your parents or grandparents return to the home country and there is no claim; a partial refund is issued after deduction of admin fee which is generally $ 25 to $ 100 per policy per person. Some conditions apply and plan varies from company to company. All applicants must read policy terms and conditions before making a purchase.
- Once the Super Visa is issued but your parents of grandparents decide not to visit and want to cancel the policy, the refund can be issued to applicant minus admin fee which can go up to $250 per policy, per person or more. Some conditions apply and plan varies from company to company. All applicants must read policy terms and conditions before making a purchase.
Stay At Hospitals In Case Of Emergency Can Be Very Costly
The purpose of Super Visa insurance is to cover hospital expenses in case of emergency. The hospitals across Canada charge different rates in case of emergency. The charges for room, initial consultation, surgery, ambulance services, medical test and diagnostics and cost for procedures vary hospital to hospital.
Some Rates Of Hospital Charges Across Canada Include:
- $15.25 per day for basic television in Ontario
- $750 initial fee for visiting the emergency room in British Columbia
- $1,099.35 for medically essential ambulance transport in Nova Scotia
- $3,100 per day for a semi-private room in Ontario
The Cost For Medical Procedures Is Also Important To Research. It Can Cost As Much As:
- $20 for 5 cm of sutures in Newfoundland
- $49 for an x-ray (plus hospital fee) in Ontario
- $598.40 for an appendectomy in the Yukon
- $670.65 to repair a broken leg (open reduction of a lower leg fracture) in Manitoba
- $7,000 minimum to put in or replace a pacemaker in British Columbia